March 25, 2019
Bride’s AND Groom’s Guide to Wedding Party Gift-Giving
Your wedding party is a special group of people you’ve chosen to stand alongside of you on one of the most important days of your life. Traditionally, giving a gift is a nice way to thank them.
When to give? You may opt to give your “wedding people” a gift at your rehearsal dinner, or maybe you’ll give one that accompanies the request to be in your wedding party, or maybe you’ll do a BFF trip and give your gifts then…or maybe a combination of these. There are never too many times to show your wedding party your appreciation for all they are doing to support you.
When my wedding couples ask my suggestions for wedding party gifts, I offer these tips as a guide for what to give:
1. Give something that has personal meaning for you and the person you are gifting. This requires a little more effort because this gift would be different for each person. For that reason, this works best for smaller wedding parties. Suggestions include beautifully framed photos or photo album of your escapades together, special play list of your co-favorite songs, art from a place you’ve vacationed together, or perhaps tickets for you both to attend a show or concert together before the Big Day.
2. Choose something they can cherish as a memento of your friendship long after your wedding day. Jewelry is always a great choice for this.
3. Gift an item that can be used long after your wedding day. Small luggage, tote bags or duffels to carry personal items, and clutch purses are great for this.
4. If you want to give them something to use or wear on wedding day, choose something practical that they can wear afterwards like personalized robes, sweatshirts, pashminas, ties, personalized drinkware.
What to spend is always something to decide. This is a personal choice, but, keep in mind that your wedding party will most likely be spending a fair amount of money on you and your wedding—showers, bachelorette party, bachelor party, wedding gifts, their wedding day attire, and possibly travel and hotel expenses. So, spend appropriately when deciding your gift budget. And don’t be afraid to spend a little more on your “Best Person” (Maid of Honor, Best Man, etc.) It’s appropriate to show them a little extra love in their gift since they are the closest to you, and will probably be spear-heading many of your pre-wedding festivities.
A nice gift resource for you…
I was recently asked to review items from www.bridesmaidgiftsboutique.com and www.GroovyGuyGifts.com , online companies that specialize in wedding party gifts. They sent me some samples of their items in return for a review of their products.
Here’s is my review:
- The items arrived quickly and were well packaged.
- I received “The Sugar Set”– a silky floral print robe with a sparkly gold travel beverage bottle that was personalized with my first initial. (See main image of this post.) The items were pretty, and very nicely made. (A beautiful gift box was included with this set.)
- After reviewing both websites, I found the selections to be extensive, fun, attractively designed, and having nice options for personalization.
- Price points seemed reasonable for the item quality and variety of unique options.
Here are MY TOP PICKS from www.bridesmaidgiftsboutique.com (in addition to the lovely set I received):
1. Jet Set Weekender—Spacious black travel bag can be monogramed with an initial in variety of thread color. Perfect gift for carrying personal items on wedding day, or for traveling to a girlfriends get-away.
2.The Caroline Leather Clutch— Can be monogramed, and comes in 4 colors. Great item to have for wedding day.
3. Wrap & Write Gift Box— Scarves come in a variety of colors with a journal that can be engrave with monogram, initial, or message. Comes in a wooden box that can be engraved with initial. Practical and pretty, especially if it will be chilly wearing those sleeveless bridesmaids dresses.
4. Maddison Makeup Bag—Who doesn’t love a great makeup bag? These can be monogrammed, and you can fill them with some special things like luxurious body products and makeup, or items for a hangover kit!
Here are MY TOP PICKS from www.GroovyGuyGifts.com:
1. Cash Collector—This cash clip is sleek and stylish, and can be personalized with an engraved monogram. This is a nice alternative to carrying a bulky wallet when the guys are all dressed up on wedding day.
2. All In One—Classy gift for the ones you like to share cigars and brandy with. The flask and box can be engraved. Add a fine cigar and you’re good to go!
3. Pack and Go— Great bag for carrying personal items on wedding day or for traveling. Also perfect for holding cords and small electronics. Can be personalized. Style is classic.
4. Found in Translation— I loved the simplicity of these luggage tags. Thinking “Hangover” bachelor weekend getaway…Can be engraved with name.
Coincidentally, these companies carry some items that fit into the criteria I’d mentioned above on tips on what to give. I’d recommend that you check them out if you’re in the market for wedding party gifts.
Happy planning, and happy shopping! ~ Christine